Sunday, April 24, 2011

Malamulo Mission Hospital


This is an old Seventh-day Adventist Mission, one of the first in Africa I think. Very well laid out, set in the countryside of southern Malawi and surrounded by tea plantations. But with the shift of the population into cities there are fewer paying clients in the countryside and fewer still making the relatively long drive (1+ hour from Blantyre) to receive health care out here.  And so Malamulo continues to provide high quality care to the thousands of poor patients in the region who can’t pay their bills.  They have a large campus with the hospital & clinic, an elementary & secondary school, a printing press, a nursing school, and a therapeutic feeding center for malnourished children.  On my once weekly trip I often do echocardiograms on children with murmurs to look for congenital or rheumatic heart disease.







Intermittently, pediatric residents visit for an elective rotation from Loma Linda University: 





Cristy Shank, medical director, doing some teaching in the clinic.






Ryan Hayton, surgeon, hard at work in the operating theatre.


Drs. Hayton & Shank conferring about a patient.



Children in the Nutrtional Unit, the unit is supported by AmeriCares.


1 comment:

  1. Hi!!
    Very good to hear from Malawi as I'm considering on going to Malamulo Adventist Hospital in August-September. I'm a 4th year medical student from Portugal, so what do you have to say to me? I'd like to hear from you. My e-mail is nice_parcelas@hotmail.com

    God bless you
    Eunice

    ReplyDelete