Monday, December 31, 2012

Winner trunks!

My cellphone rang as I was doing the last echocardiogram in clinic today. It was Sharlene Hayton excited to tell us that she saw on her "It's Monday" email that one of Darryl's submissions to the Robin Pope Safari annual photo contest had won! His shot of 3 baby elephants with only their trunks in the air above the water swimming across the Shire River won 2012 Best in Wildlife category!

Over the course of the past 2 years, we have taken some wonderful pictures in Malawi, and this picture wasn't our favorite all-time picture, but was one of our favorites out of those that met the qualifications for entry into this contest (along with his shot of the flying white-faced whistling ducks that got selected for special mention). I would like to note that the pictures I submitted to the contest aren't even on the website at all!



Congratulations Darryl! And for our prize, we will get 1 night free on safari!!

Click to see his pictures on their site (they have copyright of the pictures now).

For those who are curious, here is the series of shots showing the elephants starting on the Island in the Shire River and then swimming across to the other shore taken from the Robin Pope Safari boat at Majete National Park in September 2012.












I also took a short video clip of the crossing:



2 comments:

  1. I'm going to be volunteering in Blantyre in a few months and just wanted to say that your blog is making me very excited to go! I would love to ask you questions about more practical (less beautiful) things, such as finding a place to stay and health care, but am not sure how to contact you. If you would be willing to email me, let me know and I can send you my contact information on (perhaps) a less public forum (although I'm not sure how).

    ReplyDelete